Our warm and cosy home is the perfect base for all those outdoor adventurers new to, or revisiting the Ruapehu region. Open plan with 4 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms makes it ideally suited for families or groups of up to 12.
We are the closest accommodation (2 minutes walk) to the new Park & Ride in National Park Village, where shuttle buses leave to the start of the Tongariro Alpine Crossing in summer and to Whakapapa Ski Field in winter.
The infinite beauty of this region will mesmerise you, wait to be blown away! Whether it’s hiking, skiing, mountain biking, kayaking or relaxing in hot pools, riding the Sky Waka Gondola, and fine dining, we are in the centre of it all.
If you are unsure what to squeeze into your weekend or week-long itinerary, please ask, I am more than happy to help plan your stay with your family or friends.
• 25min drive to the Tongariro Alpine Crossing
• 25min drive to the Whakapapa Ski Field, where you can ride the volcano, fine dine or ride the Sky Waka Gondola to the café
• 1min walk to the Park & Ride
• 2min walk to the National Park Train Station to catch the Northern Explorer train
• 13min drive to Whakapapa Village, where you can educate yourself in local I-Site museum, have a high tea or dine in the elegant Chateau Tongariro and walk many of the short walks or day hikes which start here. An absolute favourite short walk is the 6km long Taranaki Falls Track with amazing views of the Tongariro National Park.
• 1min bike ride to the beginning of the Fishers Track, which you can walk or bike mainly downhill through beautiful farmland with stunning views
• 15min drive to the beginning of the Old Coach Road Track, which you can bike or walk and admire the old railway engineering
Other outdoor activities
• 12min drive to the start of the 42 Traverse to enjoy on either your mountain bike, ATV or 4WD vehicle
• 35min drive to feed trout at the Tongariro National Trout Centre, take the kids fishing and see the Whio (Blue Duck)
• 35min drive to Tokaanu Hot Springs
National Park Village attractions
• 4min walk to the newly built National Park Playground
• 8min walk to the 8m high indoor rock-climbing wall
• 8min walk to the popular Schnapps Speights Bar with an 18 hole mini golf course on site
• 4min walk to Adventure Outdoors Rafting NZ office to paddle majestic Whanganui River or crystal-clear Whakapapa River
• 12min walk to Adrift Adventures for guided tours, fishing and canoeing/kayaking down the picturesque Whanganui River
• 30min walk to the start of Tutupakurua Falls Track
• 2min walk to the Railway Station Cafe for coffee, wine, lunch or dinner
• 8min walk to the popular Schnapps Speights Bar open from lunch until late with an 18 hole mini-golf course on site
• 8min walk to the Spiral Restaurant & Bar serving breakfast, lunch and dinner
• 10min walk to Macrocarpa Cafe which serves hot drinks and takeaways
• 13min drive to the famous Chateau Tongariro for high tea, lunch or dinner
• 10min walk to the local post shop (NZ Post), fuel station (Gas) and superette (Four Square).
Unique house features
• Fresh linen including towels
• Unlimited wifi + Netflix + Chromecast
• Electric blankets
• Tea, coffee, sugar, salt & pepper, cooking oil
• Complimentary award-winning jar of honey produced by us
Things to note
The price listed is for five guests, each extra person is $25 per person per night.
Recent reviews from our Kiwi guests
A great spot in the heart of National Park village, that is your home-away-from-home while you're exploring the beautiful Central North Island. I've stayed in this house twice now and it's my go-to whenever I'm in the area. Bonus - the hosts are lovely and gracious!
Highly recommend this comfortable, homely accommodation for families needing a base for expeditions in this spectacular region. Its clean, very well equipped and within easy walking distance to amenities including bus stop, small supermarket/ petrol station, playground, good café/ restaurant, friendly pub. Easy parking for three cars. Very easy to communication with our friendly, thoughtful host. We have some treasured memories of our stay. Thank you Ellie.
An awesome week away with the family. Location was great - nice and close to the Cafes, Bars and Takeaways. On the rainy day having Wifi and Netflix available was very handy and had climbing walls and mini putt just up the road - also was only a half hour drive to Tokaanu hot pools. Thanks for all your local tips. Kids loved the house (comfy beds) and are keen to come back again.